“Iranian saffron is the most expensive and sought after spice in the world, commonly known as red gold” -CNN
It is the same as Persian saffron. Furthermore, the highest quality Iranian saffron is known as Sargol saffron.
Sargol would have a literal meaning of “top of the flower”. All the saffron that we provide here at Mom’s Saffron is Sargol saffron from Iran.
Our Iranian saffron is made up of the red stigmas which have been cut and separated from the style prior to drying. Likewise, stigmas cut this way don’t trap the moisture inside. Of course, if stigmas stay attached to the style, it keeps inside up to 30-50% dead weight and you pay for it. We only sell the stigmas (threads).
How to know if it is from Iran
- Saffron threads (filaments) are all vivid crimson color with a slightly lighter orange-red color on the tips. This indicates that it’s not cheap saffron that has been tinted red to look expensive.
- Aroma is strong and fresh.
- No broken-off debris collected at the bottom of container.
- No other yellow or white plant parts mixed in with the red threads .
- Fresh and current season’s threads.
- Saffron threads are dry and brittle to the touch.
Comparatively, our Persian Saffron is regarded as the best the world has to offer and is made up of the red stigmas (threads). It is dried to the degree that there is no moisture trapped inside to either add dead weight or affect the shelf life and its aroma. Check out our saffron threads in various sizes below. In addition, shipping is always on us at Mom’s Saffron.